Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Roadside Rescue! From Headboard to Bench!

Not too long ago I found an amazing headboard on the street and dragged it up 3 flights of stairs to my house.  Yes, my neighbors looked at me AGAIN with those judging eyes, but I had a plan!  I was going to turn this headboard into a colorful bench for my yard and that is exactly what I did....
It was a much easier project than I thought it would be, too!  I still have to find a few matching pillows, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far!
My beautiful bench sitting under my favorite little tree
With my woven outdoor blanket on the seat
Watch the short video tutorial here
The sad, lonely, abandoned headboard
YOU'LL NEED
An old headboard
20" x 80" x 1" birch plywood (seat)
*80" was the width of my headboard so measure accordingly
2 pieces 1" x 4" x 80" pine board (to frame seat)
3 pieces 1" x 4" x 20" pine board (to frame seat)
4 pieces 2" x 2" x 18" pine board (legs)
1 box of 1 3/4" long wood screws
Drill
Paintbrush
Dropcloth
Screw the 1" x 4" x 80" pine boards to each side of the 20" x 80" birch ply seat
Slide the 1" x 4" x 20" pine boards on each side of the seat and screw in place
Slide the 3rd 1" x 4" x 20" pine board 2" away from the center of the seat and screw in place
*This is for support
Put screws on the sides and on the top of the bench to keep everything in place
Next we are adding 3 legs on the front of the bench
Screw the 2" x 2" x 18" pieces on the inside corners of one side of the seat
Screw a 3rd 2" x 2" x 18" in the center of the first two 
Screw the 4th 2" x 2" x 18" leg in the center on the other side
*You will have 3 legs on one side and 1 leg in the center on the other side
Flip the seat upright on it's legs and screw the headboard to the side with one leg
For my bench I mixed red and blue chalky finish paint to make a deep purple 
I painted the outer frame, legs and bench face purple
I painted the details and seat in two different colors of orange





No comments:

Post a Comment