Friday, March 27, 2015

Paper Turquoise DIY

Hands down, this is one of my favorite projects from The Big Ass Book of Bling!  When I was a kid, my mom wore this huge chunk of turquoise and I always thought it was real.  I asked her about it recently and she told me that my youngest brother had made it in 2nd grade from paper!  I immediately tried to make some myself and here are the results.  The great thing about this is that it's light and you can shape it any way you want.  Have fun!
xoxo, Mark
Danielle "rocking" some serious faux turquoise jewelry
I love the colors on this piece.  Try adding bits of brown and black.
Watch the short video tutorial here!
YOU'LL NEED
Blender
Strainer
Wax paper
White school glue
Paintbrush
Newspaper
 Blend 2 large sheets of newspaper in 1 quart of water to create a pulp
Pour it over a strainer to remove about 95% of the water
Add 1/4 cup white school glue and mix
Create clumps and balls and place on wax paper to dry
*Make smooth balls for beads and bumpy clumps for stones
Let dry under a desk lamp overnight
 Drill holes in your round beads and pendants 
Paint the "rocks" in different shades of green, turquoise and red
When they're dry, paint them with watered down black 
Immediately wipe of most of the black with a damp cloth
*This will leave black in the creases and divits
Try watering down brown to give more texture
Dust the "rocks" again with more color
Coat them with a generous amount of Minwax Polycrylic and let dry



4 comments:

  1. I adore this!!! I have to try & make it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina! I just made some with a roll of TP for the pulp and it's terrific. It clumps just the way turquoise does. Just an fyi. TP and Glue in the blender....Same technique!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You'll have a blast! I have a batch going right now.

      Delete