Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Boho Rit Dyed and Painted Lace Lampshades

A few weeks ago I started experimenting with Rit Liquid Dye and now I'm completely hooked!  I've dyed everything in my house that can possibly be dyed and I'm still looking for more.  This week I tackled some lampshades for my patio chandelier.  I know!  Doesn't everyone have a chandelier on their patio?  It couldn't have been easier, too.  Another thing I learned is that you can paint lace metallic gold with DecoArt's Dazzling Metallics and it looks amazing.  Make sure to use the E-6000 Fabri-Fuse to glue on the lace because hot glue will melt if it's too close to the lightbulbs.  Check out the video tutorial below and leave a comment.  I'd love to hear from you.
My boho lampshades
A view to my backyard

Watch the video tutorial here
YOU'LL NEED
Rit Liquid Dye in Tangerine & Golden Yellow
Lampshades
Cotton Lace
Pie plate
Spray bottle
 1.  Wet your lampshade with a spray bottle (or put it under the sink)
2.  Fill a pie plate about 1/2" with hot water and add 2 cupfuls of Rit Liquid Dye in Golden Yellow
3.  Stir thoroughly and then rest the base of the lampshade in the dye for about five minutes.
 4. Fill your pie plate with hot water and 2 cupfuls of Tangerine Rit Liquid Dye.
5.  Stir and then dip the top of your lampshade in the dye for about 5 minutes.  
*Let it bleed upward to give an ombre effect.
6.  Cut your lace in different sized pieces.
7. Paint them with Dazzling Metallic Paint in Glorious Gold
8.  When they're dry, glue the lace to the lamp shade with E-6000 Fabri-Fuse and tape the pieces in place until they dry.



1 comment:

  1. This is gorgeous- I don't have a chandelier on my patio- yet...Thank you- this made me smile

    ReplyDelete