Thursday, February 23, 2012

IKEA 1/2 DOME PAPERWEIGHT......

HALF DOME PAPER WEIGHT
This paperweight is made from a glass candle holder that is so popular that I would bet 20 bucks you have a version of it in your house right now.  If you don’t, I owe you 20 bucks.  Ikea, Pier One, K-Mart, Target and the corner store all make them and include them with the candle sets we all give and get every year.  What I’m trying to say is that they are popular.  If you really don’t have one, head to the thrift store, they will have 30 on the shelves or just use something similar.  Heck, I’ll even send you one.  I have at least 100 of them hanging around.

YOU’LL NEED
Small glass dome tea light holder (Ikea and everywhere else)
Elmer’s glue
Clear Resin (I use ICE RESIN)
Small image
Glitter
OUTDOOR SPACE TO WORK…..I MEAN IT!

HERE’S HOW
1.    Clean your glass piece perfectly!
2.    Cut your image so that it comfortably fits on the bottom of your glass piece and so that you can see it from the bottom (when it’s upside down)
3.    Slightly water down some Elmer’s glue and glue it to the bottom of the glass piece and let it dry.
4.    Sprinkle a tiny bit of glitter in the glass.
5.    Mix your resin following the instructions carefully (AND DOING ALL OF THIS OUTSIDE……I REPEAT, DO THIS OUTSIDE IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA!) and fill your container.
6.    Let dry overnight

This project and 150 more in THE BIG ASS BOOK OF CRAFTS 2 


12 comments:

  1. LOVE this idea and will be searching for a votive next time I'm in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant idea. I just bought some ice resin for my birthday last week and I've been itching to try it out. Thanks so much for the inspiration. Your ideas are always so dependable. I know if I try it - short of user error - it'll work out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this project, thanks for sharing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have done this inside at some time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark,
    I must be one of those rare people that does not have one of these candle holders. What a great paperweight.
    Teddie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Teddie- I don't have one of these tea light holders but I am going to keep an eye out for them. This is really cool! I just picked up your B-A B of Home Decor. Can't wait to try some of your projects in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have one! :( Want to send me one with that $20 you owe me now? ;)
    Great project!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would like to see if this would work with quilling.
    Teddie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, I never would have thought of turning these tea light holders into paperweights and I've been wanting paperweights like this for a while.

    ReplyDelete