Friday, February 10, 2012

Butterfly Doodle Pillow.....

Seriously, is there a better word that DOODLE? 
And who doesn't love butterflies.
Gotta say, a Butterfly Doodle Pillow seems like something from heaven.
 
YOU’LL NEED:
Sewing machine (love my BERNINA!)
Black thread
Enlarged image of a butterfly, dragonfly, whatever rocks your world.  My image is from a Dover Clip Art book. 
Light box 
HINT: If you don’t have a light box use a lamp under a glass table or a window
1/2 yard white fabric and 1/2 yard black fabric
Pencil
Iron and ironing board
Sewing needle
Pillow stuffing

HERE’S HOW:
1.Enlarge your image on a copy machine (head over to Staples, they have the best copy department and they are nicely priced).
2. Place your image under your white fabric.
3. Using your pencil, lightly trace your image on to the fabric keeping in mind that each line you make will be covered in thread.
4. With your sewing machine, slowly go over each penciled line with a straight stitch.
HINT:  To make your darker areas more interesting, go over them with a zigzag stitch to get more thread on the fabric.
DON’T WORRY!  You can always add more if it’s not quite right.  It’s just thread and fabric.
5. When you’re finished,  iron your piece
6. Cut a piece of black fabric for the back of the pillow
7. Sew the right sides together and leave a 4” hole for stuffing.
8. Clip your corners at an angle and turn inside out.
9. Fill with stuffing and stitch closed with a sewing needle.
 FOR THIS PROJECT AND 100 MORE CHECK OUT
THE BIG ASS BOOK OF HOME DECOR!




6 comments:

  1. Love this pillow, and I don't consider myself a "butterfly" person.... But this could be changed to anything..... Love love love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soo cool! This pillow is gorgeous! I might have to try this out for home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome project, Absolutely love it!!!
    Sar Tann

    ReplyDelete
  4. As one of my goals is to conquer my fear of my sewing mackine and another is to doodle at least an hour a week, I may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous pillow! Wish I could use a sewing machine. I tried and broke the machine.

    ReplyDelete