Monday, October 31, 2011

Melted Bracelet from THE BIG ASS BOOK OF CRAFTS 2

Did I mention that FISKARS.COM rocks? They have featured another one of my projects from 
THE BIG ASS BOOK OF CRAFTS 2 and it's a good one!  Actually, one of my favorites.
Stop tossing bottles in the trash people and make something with them.
YOU’LL NEED
Heavy Duty Scissors
Needle nose pliers
Candle
Gold enamel paint
Small paint brush
1 thick plastic bottle (like Ocean Spray 64 oz. bottles)
Minwax Polycrylic Clear Coat and brush
Black faceted beads (bugle beads would work, too)

HERE’S HOW TO MAKE THE BRACELET
1. Cut a 1 1/2”- to 2”-wide ring of plastic from your bottle.
2. Cut an opening in the ring so you can slide your wrist into the cuff later.
3. Holding the plastic ring with some pliers over the candle flame, melt a little bit of the center section of the ring, observing how it reacts to the heat.
4. Continue melting and shaping the ring to form your bracelet.
5. Cut off the excess plastic at your cuff’s opening and melt the ends so they have a smooth edge and don’t scratch you when you put on your bracelet later.
6. Clean your cuff with soap and water to remove any soot, then dry it completely.
7. Paint the edges of your cuff with the gold paint.
8. When the paint is dry,  coat the outside of your cuff with the Minwax Polycrylic Clear Coat, and then dip it in a pile of loose beads, rolling it to get beads all over.
9. Let the first coat dry, then apply several additional layers of Minwax Polycrylic.  Be generous!
There are TONS of other jewelry projects in 
The Big Ass Book of Crafts 2!  Pick up your copy today.

    8 comments:

    1. This is awesome, Mark! I love all of your ideas for recycling plastic.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Wow!! How creative and a GREAT upcycle!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Awesome! Going to try it this weekend!!!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Bella sent me, and damn her to hell for it. Now I won't get any sleep tonight as I will be too busy reading your blog! >.<

      ReplyDelete
    5. I adore bracelets.....any shape, size or form. I'm really going to try this!!!! Haven't gotten your book yet, but its on my wish list!!!!
      Crystal

      ReplyDelete
    6. These are really fun. And could see this project going 100 different directions with various embellishments...fabric, studs, rhinestones...I'd take my rhinestones on toast if I could. Only thing I don't like about it is the melting plastic part --the fumes get to me. I heard it's easier outdoors with a heat gun but I have yet to try. This post might push me to it. I need me some badass holiday bracelets!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Been your fan and finally found your blog....:):)

      ReplyDelete