Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fantastic Fabric Plant........Why not?!

Picture 17
Ok, I know what you’re thinking. “Why would anyone want a fabric plant”?  Well, I have no idea, I just wanted one so I made one.  Isn’t that what creativity is all about anyway?  Let’s face it, silk plants are a plenty, but ones made with your fabric scraps, well, they’re all one of a kind!  I may actually start inventing new plants just to see what I can come up with. 
 YOU’LL NEED
Rebar tie wire
Wire cutters
About 2 yards of fabric scraps (mine were green strips left over from some curtains)
Sewing machine (I'm digging my Bernina!)
Matching thread
Scissors
Block of Styrofoam
Planter box
HERE’S HOW
Picture 11
Cut about 40 triangles in different sizes.  Mine ranged from 8” to  20” long and never more than 4” wide at the base.
Picture 12
Picture 13
Fold the triangle in half and sew up to the tip.  Since we are not turning these inside out, all you have to do is make sure you can slip your wire inside.
Picture 14
Cut your wire about 4” longer than your leaf
Picture 15
Slip the wire inside all the way to the tip
Picture 16
Stick the excess in the Styrofoam, put the plant in a planter box, and keep going until your plant comes to life.
Picture 11
P.S.  That's my craft house in the background. 
  3 books together photo copy
This project is from THE BIG ASS BOOK OF HOME DECOR
Soon to be available as an E-book in full color!

2 comments:

  1. this is really neat, i've seen fabric flowers everywhere but not a big large fabric plant!!!
    (was sent by brassy apple)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewe awesome. I want pictures of the craft house ;)
    Hugs,
    Raven
    www.love4stamps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete